Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- ¼ to ⅓ cup cooked oatmeal, chilled
- ½ banana (use a frozen banana if a thicker smoothie is desired)
- ½ cup any liquid (milk, soy milk, rice milk, Boost®, Ensure®, Boost Plus® or Ensure Plus®, or a generic version of one of these products) – use more than ½ cup if needed to blend
- 1 ½ teaspoons wheat germ
- 1 ½ teaspoons honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Clean, peel and prepare the fruit and other solid ingredients.
- Place these ingredients in the blender.
- Add liquid ingredients to blender.
- Blend all of the ingredients together to your desired consistency.
- Add additional liquid to the blender if needed to thin out consistency for better blending. Depending on the “strength” of your blender, you may need more or less liquid to make the mixture blend.
**In any smoothie recipe, you can use whichever liquid that you like. Examples of liquids that work well for making smoothies include soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, oat milk, or regular nonfat milk. You can use a liquid nutritional supplement, such as Boost® or Ensure® as well. To maximize the calories and protein in any smoothie or shake, try using Boost Plus®, Ensure Plus®, or a generic version of one of these products as your liquid.
If you can’t finish the whole smoothie at once, you can store the unused portion in the refrigerator or freezer. You can re-blend the smoothie later that same day by adding a little more liquid. Do not store any unused portion of the smoothie in the refrigerator for more than one day.
Per Serving*: 323 calories; 10 grams protein; 55 grams carbohydrate; 7 grams fat; 3.3 grams fiber; 148 milligrams sodium; 510 milligrams potassium**.
* Made with Boost Plus®, Ensure Plus®, or a generic version of one of these products. Calories and protein will be somewhat lower if made with milk, soy milk, rice milk or another liquid.